THE EVANGELICAL CHURCH C.A.
The German community in Alba Iulia grew with the opening of the fortress construction site by bringing craftsmen from the Habsburg Empire’s hereditary provinces. They joined the Saxon community settled in the city.
Joseph II’s reforms included measures of religious tolerance which led to the free exercise of the Lutheran / Evangelical confession and building a place of worship in Alba Iulia. In 1793, a wooden chapel for worship was located in the area of the evangelical cemetery on the outskirts of the city (at that time). The land for the new construction was received from the city in 1819, but it was in a marshy area and required sanitation works. The present church was built between 1824 and 1826 and its bell tower was added later in 1853. The plan is a church hall, with an unrecessed apse, circular inside and polygonal on the outside.
In the immediate vicinity of the church, were the confessional school and the rectory.
Some of the most interesting elements that can be seen in this church: the stone baptismal font (dated in 1796) from the old wooden place of worship of the eighteenth century; and also the ironwork of the door with the lock dated in 1826.
Scientific consultant: Tudor Roșu, PhD historian
Translation made by: Ciprian Dobra, PR expert
The need to build a Lutheran Church in Alba Iulia can be linked to the construction of the Alba Carolina Citadel. When the construction site of the fortification opened, craftsmen from the Habsburg Empire’s hereditary provinces came to town, a measure which increased the German community in Alba Iulia (a population of German Saxons also resided there). As such, there was a need to construct a place for the followers of Lutheranism.
The city provided the land for the church in 1819. The area was a marshland at that time, so it required sanitation. The church was built between 1824-1826 alongside a church hall with an undetached apse, circular inside and polygonal on the outside. A bell tower was added later in 1853.
Perhaps the most interesting elements of the church are its stone baptismal font (which dates back to 1796) and its nineteenth-century iron door fittings.