The building was built around 1905 and belonged to the Jewish family Glück, one of the richest in the city. To this family also belonged the „Johanna” Mill (founded by Adolf and Samuel Glück in 1894) and the alcohol factories. With its three levels, plus the tower, the „palace” was the largest building in the central area, the central square of the city (Hauptplatz), divided into the Déak Ferencz Square (eastern hut) and Hunyadi Square North-facing), and reunited under the name of Mihai Viteazul Square after 1918. In the vast central market square were also the most representative buildings of the city: hotels, banks, town hall, safety, churches and many shops and here most of the festivities, fairs and events took place in Alba Iulia.
Gisella Palace also had the advantage of positioning its main facades towards both marketplaces. Especially in the 1980s, this area underwent major urban transformations. Other representative buildings of the city’s civilian architecture have been demolished, such as former Hungaria hotels or Europe. However, the eastern one was less affected, so the Gisella palace remains the most impressive private building still standing, from the city center scenery of the early twentieth century.
After 1965, the building became the headquarters of the People’s Council of Alba County and the County Court, and after 1990 the headquarters of other institutions. There are several shops in the ground floor. Currently, the palace market is called „Iuliu Maniu”, after the statue in its central area, dedicated to the one who was chairman of the Transylvanian Conducting Council, deputy of Vinţu de Jos and prime minister of Romania.
Scientific consultant: Tudor Roșu, PhD historian
Translation made by: Ciprian Dobra, PR expert
Built in 1905, the Gisella Palace was the first two-stories building in the Lower Town. Located in the central square of the city, the palace was the tallest central building with its three levels and the tower. The building was owned by the Glück family, Jewish and one of the richest in the city. The Gisella Palace also distinguished by its main façades which faced both sides of the city’s square, where celebrations and fairs were organized in the early 1900’s.
The edifice is nowadays the most impressive private building still standing since the city center scenery of the early twentieth century.
After 1965, the building became the headquarters of the People’s Council of the Alba County and of the County Court, and then – in 1990 – the headquarters of other institutions. The rooms on the ground floor currently have a commercial destination.
At present, the square is called „Iuliu Maniu”, after the statue in its central area, dedicated to the person who was president of the Transylvanian directing council – the provisional government after the Union of 1918. He was also both deputy of Vinţu de Jos and Prime Minister of Romania.
These days, the building belongs to the family Macarie who restored and rehabilitated it, bringing its past beauty back to life.