WOODEN CHURCH OF THE RESURRECTION
One of the most frequented churches in Alba Iulia is the one dedicated to the „Resurrection of the Lord”, a place with a very interesting evolution, in two distinct phases: a historical one, taking into account the first centuries of existence of the church, respectively or a modern one, starting from relocation and refurbishment. Thus, it is generally considered that the church was built in 1769 in the village of Brăzeşti, Sartăş village (nowadays village belonging to the town of Baia de Aries), Alba County. In 1991, the church was relocated in Cetate district of Alba Iulia, on the current site.
The first mass took place on Easter in 1992. The sanctification of the new church took place on August 16th, 1993 when the church received the dedication to „Pious Saint Anthony the Great”.
Among the artists who have contributed to the beautification of the church, the memory on the inner incription retains the woodcarvers Ioan Aloman and Dumitru Bârlea; master craftman Virgil Armanu sculptor of the iconostasis; the author of the painting (made between 1996-2000), sister Viorica Creţu from Prislop Monastery, disciple of the famous Arsenie Boca, nicknamed „Holyman of Transylvania”. Also in connection to Prislop Monastery we have the name of the Mother Superior Zamfira Constantinescu, who helped move the church from Alba Iulia. A new consecration took place on February 20th, 2000. From the beginning, all these works were coordinated by the parish priest Simion Todoran.
In the courtyard of the church, the summer altar and the seat of the Orthodox Foundation Ieromonah Arsenie Boca were also built.
Scientific consultant: Tudor Roșu, PhD historian
Translation made by: Ciprian Dobra, PR expert
The church has had two distinct phases: a historical one dating back to the first centuries of its existence and a modern one linked to its relocation and refurbishment. The church is believed to have been built in 1769 in the village of Brăzești, which currently belongs to the city of Baia de Arieş.
The place of worship was moved to the current site, in the Cetate district of Alba Iulia, in 1991. Zamfira Constantinescu, the abbot of the Prislop Monastery, was the main contributor to the church’s displacement. The painting was made by Sister Viorica Creţu from the same monastery, who apprenticed to Father Arsenie Boca, called „the Saint of Ardeal” (or Transylvania).
The first service took place on Easter in 1992. One year later, the church was consecrated and dedicated to St. Anthony the Great. A new consecration took place in 2000.
The wooden church is one of the most attended Orthodox churches in Alba Iulia.