„SAINT NICHOLAS” WOODEN CHURCH
It was built in 1768 in the village Acmar, Comuna Blandiana. But it was abandoned after the village had a new church with stone walls.
After 20 years of abandonment, the church was recovered at the initiative of His Grace Emilian Birdaş who decided to restore it inside the old heritage John the Baptizer. So, the building was moved in 1994 in Valea Popii, its current location.
The construction of the church is ship-shaped, with oak wood beams, while the soles are laid on a small stone foundation. In the south, along the whole length, there is an open porch supported by twelve wooden pillars; the porch has a 80 centimetres high fratted plank parapet.. The entrance is situated on the south side through a massive oak door.
In the altar there are three windows , in the nave are four, and none in the narthex. In the narthex rises a tower with a square base and pyramidal turret having a high shingled roof.
The original painting was not preserved. The current painting made with fresco technique was made by Vasile Lefter, between 1996-1999. In the same period an iconostasis made of oak was made by sculptor Remus Dragomir after the transylvanian model of wood sculpture, a tradition in which the whole church falls. The rest of the furniture was executed in the monastery’s workshop.
Scientific consultant: Tudor Roșu, PhD historian
Translation made by: Ciprian Dobra, PR expert
The story of the wooden church began in the village of Acmar (in Blandian) in 1768. However, when a brick wall church was built in the village, the wooden one was abandoned.
After 20 years of abandonment, the church was recovered on Emilian Birdaş’s initiative (Orthodox Bishop of Alba Iulia) when the edifice was moved to the current site of Valea Popii area in 1994.
It is a ship-shaped oak beam construction with its base laid on a small stone foundation. An open porch supported by 12 wooden pillars is built along its whole length of the southern side. The entrance to the church – a massive oak door – is also here.
The altar and the nave of the church bear three and four windows respectively. The unlit narthex, however, holds a square base tower with a pyramidal pavilion and high shingle roof.
The old eighteenth-century painting is no longer preserved and the current painting has been made in the fresco technique by Vasile Lefter between 1996 and 1999. Also at that time, the sculptor Remus Dragomir completed an oak wood rood screen, a masterpiece inspired the Transylvanian wood sculptures, a tradition that inspired the entire church too.