„HOLY TRINITY” ORTHODOX CHURCH OF MAIERI II

ORTHODOX CHURCH OF THE „ASSUMPTION”- LIPOVENI
October 23, 2017
„HOLY TRINITY” ORTHODOX CHURCH OF MAIERI I
October 23, 2017

P

The church in the Maieri II neighbourhood was the first brick wall church built for the Romanians settled in the „Lower Town” area. Its construction took place between 1713-1715, with the money received from the Austrian authorities as compensation for dismantling the Orthodox Metropolitan Church of Mihai Viteazul, located near the southeast corner of the medieval fortress.

Interestingly, a part of the construction materials salvaged from the former metropolitan complex. Moreover, some massive limestone blocks visible in the church wall are supposed to have been conserved from the old Roman castrum. Following the town planning in the 18th century, the church was located on the edge of the city.

Initially small and dark, the church was later extended, the last time in the mid-twentieth century. Its plan is a hall church, with a polygonal apse to the east. A new element was given by the baroque bell tower, which is oversized and taller than the length of the church body. Access to the tower is made through a staircase placed in the wall.

Among the most valuable elements of the church – a bell from 1620; the tombstone of squires Ana de Hunedoara (deceased in 1622) which was lodged at the base of the tower and was probably brought from the old cemetery of the mitropoly of Michael the Brave; the rows of bricks disposed in a „chainsaw” pattern laid on the most part of the outer perimeter of the nave denote the influence of architecture in the South of Carpathians.

Within the Church there are also areas where the original 18th-century painting is still visible. The tympanum of the loft, for example, represents the scene of the ecumenical synod of Niceea (785). The current painting dates back to the 50’s.

Just as remarkable, however, is the fact that the first primary school that provided teaching in Romanian in Alba Iulia – founded in 1760 – functioned under the church.

English