GREEK CHURCH OF THE „ANNUNCIATION”
The Church of the Annunciation, also called the „Greeks’ Church”, was built in the late 18th century, being one of four churches built for Romanians in the Lower Town in this century. One of its founders was the priest Nicolae Rat, the last confessor of Horea and Closca. The term of the „Greeks’ Church” refers to Aromanian merchants’ contribution to its construction. Documents also mention it as an „ununited” church, that is, Orthodox, unlike the Greek-Catholic churches. At the time, the most common terms that identified Orthodoxy or Greco-Catholicism were „ununited”/ „united.” It seems that the reason the church was raised was that the church in Lipoveni, which belonged to the Orthodox Christians up until 1760, was taken over by the Greek Catholics. At the time of its construction, the church was located on the outskirts of the city, in the field, surrounded by the cemetery. As new homes were built and the city had expanded, it has come to have a central position.
The edifice’s plan is a hall church, with a circular apse and a two-entry tower. Unlike the other Romanian churches in the Lower City, the tower hasn’t got the same appearance of massiveness, being in full harmony with the body of the church.
There is an unusual image on one of the deacon’s doors inside, with Archdeacon Stephen presenting the mock-up of the church.
The edifice has benefited from several restoration campaigns, especially throughout the 20th century, which, however, did not bring structural and aesthetical alterations. The current painting also dates back to the mid-twentieth century, but there are certain areas, such as the apse of the altar, still displaying traces of the 19th century painting scenes, made by Simion Silaghi. The rood screen is a grandiose one with typical Baroque elements.
A few precious objects have been preserved out of the 18th century patrimony: three silver votive candles (1786), worship books with first annotations of donners (from the end of the century), and the donation document from the year 1796, the royal icon dated 1793, painted by Simon from Balgrad, other icons from the 18th century and the first part of the 19th century, as well as an impressive silk threaded epitaph from the 19th century.
In the church courtyard, there are some funerary monuments, some of which being very old.
Scientific consultant: Tudor Roșu, PhD historian
Translation made by: Ciprian Dobra, PR expert
The Greek Church is one of the four places of worship erected for the Romanians in „Lower Town” in the 18th century. Its name refers to the contribution of Aroman merchants to its construction. Nicolae Rat, the last confessor of Horea and Closca, was among its founders.
Documents also mention the „un-united” church, namely Orthodox, unlike the Greek-Catholic churches. The need to erect the place of worship seems to be related to the taking over of the Orthodox Church from the present Lipoveni district by the Greek-Catholic after 1760.
At the end of the eighteenth century, The Greek Church was built on the outskirts of Alba Iulia, in the field and later became central as new and new homes were built and the city expanded.
The edifice’s plan is a hall church. The tower with its two entrances distinguishes among others from Orthodox Churches in the Lower City. It looks in total harmony with the nave, lacking massiveness.
Inside, one of the altar doors displays an unusual image – Archdeacon Stephen presenting the church mock-up. Its roodscreen is monumental with typical Baroque elements.
The church, dedicated to the „Annunciation”, preserves part of the XVIIIth century patrimony: the act of beneficence in 1799, books with the first writings of the donors, three silver votive candles from 1786, an icon dated in 1793 and an impressive 19th-century epitaph worked in silk thread.