FORMER WARRANT OFFICERS’ PAVILION
Situated near the Apor Palace, the building had, like most of the buildings inside the citadel a military purpose. The neoclassical L shaped building was built around the 1900’s . It had served as Pavilion for the Austro-Hungarian Army NCOs. On the old maps (Vintage maps), this building appears under the name of „Officer Pavilion nr 6. Unfortunately the historical sources are very pour regarding this building located on the old street of the Pharmacy (subsequently named Al. Valeria Street and Princess Ileana Ecaterina Varga Street).
Since 2003, the building has been in the possession of 1 December 1918 University and had benefited from extensive restoration and modernization. Since 2006 it serves as the headquarters of the university library, a library structured on modern basis and equally, it hosts various cultural and educational events like: book launches, conferences, exhibitions.
Scientific consultant: Tudor Roșu, PhD historian
Translation made by: Ciprian Dobra, PR expert
Located near the Apor Palace, the building that currently houses both the „1 Decembrie 1918” University library and several other edifices of the Alba Carolina Citadel, had a former military purpose. The L-shaped building was erected in neoclassical style in the 1900’s. It initially served as a pavilion for warrant officers in the Austro-Hungarian army. Maps of the period also listed the building under the name of „Officers’ Pavilion no. 6”. Unfortunately, historical sources offer rather scarce information on this building on the old street of the pharmacy.
The edifice received a cultural purpose in 2003, when it was taken over by the „1 Decembrie 1918” University and benefited from extensive restoration and modernization works. Since 2006, it has served as the headquarters of the university library. It is a modern library that hosts various cultural and educational events: book launches, conferences, symposiums, exhibitions.