FORMER WAR COMMISSARIAT
The Commissariat building was among the first projects of the Italian national Giovanni Morando Visconti, the first architect of the 18th century bastion fortress. The building first appeared on the plans of Architect Weiss in the years 1731 and 1736, who was in charge of the fortification building site in Alba Iulia during that period. Located in the immediate vicinity of the storehouse, the building was smaller and square in shape. A report from 1747 by General Bohn, who led the garrison to the middle of the eighteenth century, shows that the edifice of the commissariat was in good condition and that it was built along with the city. At that time, the Commissariat building accommodated two engineers, representatives of the special commission that was in charge of the construction works for the fortification.
It is a massive military type building with a commanding appearance. Its window openings, probably built at a stage subsequent to the first construction phase, contain eighteenth century elements like stylish stone frameworks „with ears”.
The War Commissariat was an important structure within the garrison, as it handled both economic and military issues, from recruiting staff and charging and quartering them to duties concerning supply, accounting, sanitation, construction and maintenance issues.
The building was known under similar names: the Commissariat House, the War Commissariat. After 1900, part of the edifice was used as a supply warehouse, and some of the rooms were converted into housing for officers. Later, it housed the County Military Center, the Information and Recruitment Office and the National Association of War Veterans – King Ferdinand I Branch of the Alba County. In recent years, the edifice was restored. At present, exhibitions and other cultural events are organized on the ground floor.
Scientific consultant: Tudor Roșu, PhD historian
Translation made by: Ciprian Dobra, PR expert
The War Commissariat represented an important structure within the Austrian garrison in the Alba Carolina Fortress. Its main duties were military, economic and social: from soldier recruitment to construction and maintenance issues to supply, accounting, and healthcare purposes.
The Commissariat building was one of the first projects bearing the signature of the first architect of the Bastion Fortress (eighteenth century), the Italian Giovanni Morando Visconti. Square-shaped and massive, the edifice is typically military of a commanding appearance. Its window openings – probably built at a stage subsequent to the first construction phase – contain stylish stone frames that were specific to the 18th century.
In the mid-1700s, its tenants were two engineers and representatives of a special committee who led the works in the citadel.
Since 1900, part of the edifice was used as a warehouse for supplies, and some other rooms accommodated Austrian officers. After the Union in 1918, the building kept its military role – this time for the Romanian army.
The former War Commissariat has recently entered a restoration process. The first spaces open to the public are on the ground floor, housing exhibitions and cultural events.