FORMER „MAJLÁTH” GYMNASIUM
The so called „Majláth” edifice was built in 1898 on the spot of the former Jesuit complex (the southern side of this complex). In the south-eastern wing of the Jesuit complex functioned the School until then. The new Majláth building, of considerable dimensions, was initially the headquarters of the Superior Gymnasium or Ober Gymnasium, continuing the series of the edifices dedicated to education inside the citadel.
The building is impressive through its front façade, decorated with columns with channeled shafts and alternating Ionic and Doric capitals, thus amplifying its monumentality, as well as other ornamental registers with vegetal and geometric motifs. The columns sustain a large fronton giving the building the aspect of a temple. The decoration of the building is a neoclassic one.
Since its destination was an educative one from the very beginning (preserved until nowadays), the building was endowed with classrooms, laboratories, library, amphitheater, chapel, offices and so on. So, in the first phase, the building belonged to the Superior Gymnasium, then, between 1919 and 1920, to the Roman-Catholic gymnasium, and, since 1930 to the Majláth Roman-Catholic Highschool. In 1970 the building was given to the „Horea, Closca and Crişan” Secondary School and in the next decade hosted the Industrial Highschool nr. 4. From 1992 it was taken over by the „December 1st, 1918” University.
Scientific consultant: Tudor Roșu, PhD historian
Translation made by: Ciprian Dobra, PR expert
The main building of „1 Decembrie 1918” University is one of the most grandiose edifices within the fortress of Alba Iulia, erected in the late 1800s. Ever since it was established, it was designed for education, housing, at first, the Majláth Roman Catholic Superior Gymnasium.
The edifice, of considerable size, was built on the site of a former Gothic hall church. The neoclassical building impresses in particular through its main façade decorated with columns with fluted shafts, monumental Ionic and Doric capitals, and various other ornamental registers with vegetal-geometric motifs. Triangular fronts, columns and other classic decorations bring to the viewer the image of an ancient temple.
Since its foundation, the building was provided with classrooms, laboratories, a library, an amphitheater, a chapel and offices for the Majláth Gymnasium. After the Union of Transylvania with Romania, the edifice remained a space dedicated to education, hosting secondary school institutions.
The building changed its status after the foundation of the „1 Decembrie 1918” University in 1991, which took over and modernized it. The C-wing building of the university currently hosts lecture rooms, course and seminar classrooms, laboratories, a museum collection with an Archaeology exhibition, and the offices of four of the five faculties of Alba Iulia university.