„DESCENT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT” ORTHODOX CHURCH
The construction of the church, with the interior painting and the iconostasis has been accomplished in quite a long period, from 1990 up to 2006. The construction of this magnificent edifice was financially supported by the Government of Romania and also from other state and private institutions. On major characteristic of this church is the fact that is the spacious church from all the Orthodox edifices within Alba Iulia.
An interesting feature of the church is the orientation of the altar to the west, which represent a particular case in the Orthodox edifice system. The main reason was given due to urbanistic reasons, especially the desire to place the church face towards the Cathedral of Coronation, which is located into Alba Iulia City Fortress. The second reason was to connect directly Cathedral of Coronation to Descent of the Holy Spirit Church through Transylvania Boulevard.
Neo-Byzantine architectural style was defined by the Alba Iulia native Grigore Filimon project designer. The church has a beautiful form of a Greek cross with two symmetrical towers at the entrance, it also has a magnificent bell tower and a massive tower over the dome. The painting was made by Romanian painter Gheorghe Bondoc from Pitesti. The iconostasis and the majority of churches oak chairs was craft handed by Dan Pintilie from Bacau. The sanctification of the church took place on June 11, 2006, on the occasion of Pentecost, precisely at the event of the Descent of the Holy Spirit.
Into the courtyard of the church there is a monument called “The Anti-Communist Resistance Memorial 1945-1989”, on which are marked all the Communist prisons from Romania, and also all the resistance groups from the Alba County headed by the Major Dabija.
Scientific consultant: Tudor Roșu, PhD historian
Translation made by: Ciprian Dobra, PR expert
It is the most spacious place of worship in Alba Iulia. Its construction, interior painting and rood screen have been achieved over a fairly long time (16-years). The consecration of the church took place on June 11, 2006, on Whitsun, that is, precisely at the event of its patronage, namely the „Descent of the Holy Spirit”.
Located at the western end of the Roman Plateau and the city, the Church is located opposite the Coronation Cathedral. It was also the reason why the church has the west-facing altar, a particular case in the Orthodox edifice system.
The architecture of the church is of a Neo-Byzantine type – a Greek cross shape, with two symmetrical bell towers at the entrance and a massive tower over the dome.
The monument in the church yard, called „Memorial of Anti-communist Resistance (1945-1989)”, displays both a list of communist prisons in Romania and armed resistance groups from the Alba County, with the group led by Major Dabija in the foreground.